February 1, 2018

Meal out at Down Hall

On Sunday 28th January, my family had a little meal together, it was part the first meal we had all together since before Christmas as my aunt and her family went to Australia over the holiday period and a meal for my mum who’s birthday was on the 24th.

We had the meal at this amazing house called Down Hall, just outside of Harlow in a little village called Hatfield Heath in the beautiful county of Hertfordshire..  I have only been there the once when the hall had an open day many years ago so our experience of it was lots of stalls and didn’t get a chance to try out the restaurant there.

We got there a little earlier than everyone else so we went for a little walk around the grounds and explored a little bit, we found a cute little picnic area, amazingly considering this is January we didn’t need coats, it was so mild that it was actually warm, Amelia even complained about being hot.. which is nothing new as shes is a walking human radiator and then found that they had installed a play area with swings so that was the children happy for a little bit while we waited for the rest of my family to show up.

The Restaurant itself was beautiful and what I found the most surprising was how kind and happy the staff were about having noisy children there, I know a lot of ‘posh’ places tend to dislike children but the staff would comment on how cute Robin was and even gave Kai and Amelia some paper and pencils to draw, which came with a foam toy to make.

My starter was this lovely cauliflower soup that smelt amazing and I am in need to make it at home now, however there wasn’t much options for vegetarians, and seeing as i’m the most fussiest person alive and didn’t like Mushrooms I had a roast dinner without the meat and they even provided a jug of gravy for me that didn’t touch the meat which I was grateful for, the meal was nice, but I found the vegetables a little but crunchier than my liking but it did taste really lovely.. the Yorkshire pud’s went down a treat and the children all wanted cheesy pasta which of course Robin gobbled up.

Afters came next, the children wanted the brownie with the ice cream and Robin was going to have the same but she fell asleep and had a much needed nap, I had this lovely trio of ice cream which I actually regret getting all three flavors because while the vanilla was amazing, I found the chocolate and the strawberry far to sweet for my tastes and and everyone else at the table had this Lemon Posset.

Then of course came the cake, they unfortunately walked out with it while my mum was in the toilet so the sparkler 60 candle was lit and went out, but they found some other candles for us and when she finally arrived back from the loo, it was brought out for her, the cake was made by my aunt and once we got back to my mums house was shared out between everyone and like always.. was an amazing cake!

We all had such an amazing time, I did get a little stressed with dealing with the children and it being a posh place but they did behave wonderfully and once Robin had her nap she woke up and was in such a better mood.

I have of course made the request to spend a night there in the future, there is something so magical about an old building with lots of history, and who doesn’t like a little time away from three yelling children haha, it was just so lovely to see all my family again and enjoy a meal with everyone in good spirits.

Until next time

22 comments so far.

22 responses to “Meal out at Down Hall”

1. Maisie says:

It looks and sounds wonderful! When staff are accommodating to the kids it makes for such a nicer experience doesn’t it! Shame about the timing of the cake but glad they could rectifying the candle situ!

2. Rosie says:

This place looks amazing! Imagine it in spring when all the flowers are starting to bloom! Gorgeous snaps!

3. KRIS says:

That food looks stunning! I’m glad you enjoyed it so much!

4. Danielle says:

The restaurant looked amazing and that cake was really beautiful!

5. I love a classic vanilla ice cream! The venue is stunning!

6. That building is stunning! And the food looks sooo yummy!

7. Chloe Rennard says:

That sounds like such a special day! The food and setting look lovely! Hope your mum had a happy 60th x

8. Courtney says:

Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! Your pictures came out gorgeous – great work!

9. Rebecca Greenway says:

This looks so lovely! I’m so jealous of your camera skills. X

10. Mel says:

This looks like a lovely place and the grounds are stunning.
    The food looks delicious!

11. New Lune says:

This place looks and sounds wonderful, and you’ve taken amazing pictures! The quality is insane!! x

12. Dreams&Lashes says:

These photos look so pretty! Especially the one with your little girl running around, so cute!! xx

Angela | DreamsAndLashes.com

13. Sarah says:

Oh wow it looked amazing xx

14. Shauna Claire says:

These pictures are so lovely! It looks like such a nice place!

Shauna | http://diariesofadramatic.com

15. The food looks absolutely delicious!

16. Gemma says:

What a gorgeous location! I love places like this!

17. Lady Writes says:

This meal out looks beautiful for the whole family, the food looks yummy x

18. Angela says:

oh my gosh this place looks absolutely stunning, magical indeed!!!!

19. Kelly-Anne says:

Wow this looks amazing. What a lovely day out this would be.

20. This sounds lovely and what a beautiful location!

21. Oh my word, the food looks absolutely incredible, what a lovely place and grounds! Looks like a fantastic meal out.

22. Britt K says:

The restaurant looks great – what a perfect way to spend family time!
    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca