Even if you have a busy life or not, Self Care is an extremely important part of anyone’s day. Everyone seems to be sharing their top tips at self care lately and while they are fantastic, some things on their list arent for me. Jenny from Jenny in Neverland shared on her blog some delightful and Unusual self care ideas and it inspired me to share some of my own.
I am not the typical normal girl, without sounding like I think I am better than others, and while I do love the odd candle and bath, I have some unusual self care activities that I do to help me calm and relax at home.
T H E I M P O R T A N C E O F S E L F – C A R E.
We often find that in our busy lives that we forget the most important person when it comes to caring, ourselves. We more often than not work hard but rarely play hard too, taking time out for ourselves during the busy manic rush of the week is overlooked and ignored. But we must always find time to practice self care during the weeks.
Having time for ourselves does wonders for not only physical health but mental as well, and at this time in the modern age, mental health is at the forefront of everyone’s minds, to many times do I read in the newspaper or online that someone has taken their own lives because of mental health and it simply just int talked about enough.
While I am not saying self care is the magic cure all, it does help with the impact of the stresses of daily life. It does not matter who you are or what you do in life, if you are a busy working human struggling in the world or a exhausted stay at home mum finding that time to do something that you would consider self care is so important.
M Y S E L F – C A R E I D E A S
- Gaming – There is no secret that I am a bit of a gamer, Playing on my xbox is my escape or even playing on my switch in my Animal Crossing island, it isnt for everyone of course but for me its the perfect way to end the day after being 100% full on mummy. I can be whoever I want to be for a couple of hours.
- Crochet – I dont do this as often as I should but I was told how to crochet from my Mum who also learnt it from my Nan. While I am aware that its taken me almost 5 years to complete a blanket, I adore sitting down for half an hour or when I am in a meeting and crochet away. A simple and creative self care of mine that I love, and of course in the end I get a blanket made by myself!
- Watching ‘Comfort’ Movies or shows – We all have comfort films or TV shows, back when I was dealing with an online bully (Loooong story) I found great comfort in watching Top Gear, when I was feeling extremely anxious I would watch any of their shows and I felt so much better.
- Baking and cooking – Cooking, while can be such a stress inducing task, can be really therapeutic for me, I find that preparing a meal when my anxiety is high calms me down immensely, and as you can probably see from my What We Ate post, I cook A LOT!
- Photography – I take photos of everything and anything, it can be on my phones camera or my nikon, there is something so relaxing about even setting up a flat lay for blog photos, I do a monthly series on my blog called Sightings In.. that I share photos taken from that month, and the art of taking and editing photos is often the best part of my day.
As you can see I dont have any ‘girly’ self care things that I do, but I wouldn’t say no to a lush bubble bar and a nice long soak uninterrupted, but I am a mum of three and frankly that’s impossible sometimes!
What self care things do you do, regardless of how atypical and strange they are?