When it comes to evening dinners, I am always stumped with what to create, however sometimes things are made out of pure luck and magic. One day after I had planned a weeks worth of meals for me and my children, we had originally was going to have some delicious salmon for dinner; However something bad happened and the salmon unfortunately had decided to go off in the fridge.
No matter, for I had another magic plan up my sleeve. After having a little panic about what to do I realized that in the fridge I had another bag of sainsbury’s sausage meat that I had left over from a previous meal.
C H E A P A N D E A S Y
We all know the importance of a healthy meal, but what people always seem to forget is that cheap doesn’t always mean that its unhealthy. I meal plan each week and as I am on a low income for me its always important that the meals that I make for myself and my children are healthy, easy and cheap. Because lets face it, if you are like me and have three children to deal with, sometimes easy is best.
From the lack of salmon for the meal I had planned to do, I managed to create something so simple and easy and enjoyed by all. To the point that whenever I ask my children what they fancy for the meals of the week, they jump at the chance to have this again.
Of course it is a pretty simple sauce, but you can add anything you like into it, often I add courgettes and peppers into the meal as they are always at the bottom of my fridge begging to be used. And being the weirdo I am I enjoy using my favorite tool of my kitchen; the noble garlic crusher! (mines rainbow)
I do recommend that you use a deep frying pan for when you add the sauce as it can get very bubbly. Plus there will be plenty for left over meals over the next day or lunch times, Kai took some to school with him the next day and loved it.
Add whatever you want to it as the sauce I made was just the base, but you can make it mild or spicy depending on your tastes, and I hope you enjoy the recipe if you create it at home!
Easy Sausage Meatballs
- Deep frying pan
- 400g Sausage Meat
- 500g italian passata
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp olive oil (for frying)
- Using a teaspoon and your fingers to ball up bite sized meatballs out of the sausage meat
- Fry them off in a teaspoon of olive oil until all the pink is gone
- Remove the meatballs and set them aside and into the frying pan add your diced onions and crushed garlic. fry until soft
- Put some pasta of your choice into a saucepan and cook to recommended time.
- Add in the tomato passata and bring to a boil
- Add in spices of your choice, I used Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and Worcester sauce.
- Add in the meatballs and leave to simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve with the pasta and some cheese on top.
For more recipes please check out the recipes tag.